In respect to items purchased from us over the internet, our Terms of Sale are as follows:
1) We are professional booksellers and adhere to the standards of our professional associations, both in terms of describing books and offering redress in case of a discrepancy.
2) The prices of all material offered for sale on our web site, or on the databases to which we subscribe, are net in US dollars, and each item is subject to prior sale. Normally payment in full must be received before an item will be shipped. If sending a check, money order, or purchase order, it is advisable to contact us first to request that the book be reserved for you pending receipt of payment.
3) Payment to Bison Books may be made by check drawn on a US or Canadian bank; bank draft; credit card (Mastercard, Visa); or by PayPal (our PayPal ID is our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org).
4) Any item purchased from Bison Books is returnable (postpaid) to us within ten days of receipt, if it is found to be substantially different than as described. However, we guarantee any item we sell to be authentic as to provenance, or state of issue (i.e. if we claim a book is a first edition, we guarantee it to be such). If our description of a book in regard to provenance or state of issue is in error, it may be returned to us (with prior notice, please) for refund within one year of purchase.
5) Payment with order, please. We do not send any item out on approval unless prior arrangements have been made. Legitimate book dealers, with whom we have established a reciprocal arrangement, and any member of the ABAC, ABAA, ABA, or an ILAB-affiliated national organization, may apply for a trade discount on any proposed purchase. Canadian purchasers will be charged GST. Known academic institutions, or libraries, may be billed upon receipt of a purchase order.
We do offer a layaway arrangement on more expensive items. Typically, the purchaser should offer to us a down payment and propose acceptable terms of payment. We do not charge interest on payments made according to such an agreement. The item being purchased will be shipped upon receipt of payment in full. If payment is not made in accordance with the terms of the layaway arrangement, then the deposit and any payments will only be refunded after we have re-sold the item in question, and deducted our re-selling costs (if any).
Our postage and packing charges depend upon three factors:
(1) the destination of the shipment;
(2) the size, weight and fragility of the item to be shipped;
(3) the speed of delivery (i.e. parcel post, air mail, expedited service, courier etc.).
Generally, the postage and packing charge for a standard sized (octavo) book sent to a major Canadian city will be about $11.50 (plus GST). Shipping to a smaller centre, or remote area, will cost more. These rates are set by Canada Post. Sending a standard-sized book to an American destination presently costs $7.50 USD. Generally, overseas shipments will cost $19.50 for the first, standard sized, book, via surface mail. We will quote shipping charges in advance if you forward us your mailing address and indicate how the item is to be shipped (i.e. surface, air mail, etc.).
Please note that parcels being sent to an American address or overseas are normally shipped bi-weekly from Pembina, North Dakota. Thus, we can offer shipment by Priority Mail, for a modest additional charge.
We can provide images of any item in stock. In making such a request, please be as specific as possible as to the views you would like to receive. Please bear in mind that it is not practical for us to provide photos to people doing research, or seeking to compile a library of digital images.
Please send any further questions by email to: email@example.com